The Big Picture: The Killer Daffodils.

White daffodils. (CREDIT: Andréas BRUN)

Daffodils, with their bright yellow petals and delicate fragrance, are a popular spring flower. However, few people realize that they are actually poisonous, and can be harmful if ingested.

All parts of the daffodil plant contain toxic alkaloids, including lycorine and galantamine. These alkaloids can cause a range of symptoms, including nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, and even convulsions. Ingesting large amounts of daffodil bulbs can also lead to heart and respiratory problems, which can be fatal.

While it’s unlikely that anyone would deliberately eat daffodils, accidental ingestion can occur, particularly in children and pets. Daffodil bulbs are often mistaken for onions or other edible plants, and curious pets may be attracted to their fragrance.

If you suspect that you or someone you know has ingested daffodils, it’s essential to seek medical attention immediately. Treatment may involve inducing vomiting or administering activated charcoal to absorb the toxins.

Success! You're on the list.

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: